My travel itinerary

I tend to write day-by-day travel diaries after my foreign ventures; this is the first time I’ve ventured to do one in English, do it mainly for my newfound Czech friends.

Anyway, we woke up at that awful hour one has to get up when flying out of Iceland (definitely if you need to take a transit flight), half past four in the morning. Kissed the kids without waking them up, no need to do that, the younger ones would go to my parents later in the morning and the teenager had the permission to stay home alone for the week (first time ever, for more than one night).

Airport, couldn’t check in ourselves, as our ticket was a Reykjavík Airway Bridge one (Reykjavík and Icelandair have a sponsor program going, for musicians exporting their art abroad, not bad), the woman checking us in watched us and our 2 small bags and wondered why we had 100 kilograms weight allowance each, for the plane (a lot of the Airway Bridge ticket holders are of course bands, with tons of equipment).


Anyway, once inside the airport we had the mandatory coffee (Jón Lárus)/hot chocolate (me) and croissant, bought a book to read on the plane, opened the laptop but of course the net wasn’t free. No way I needed it so much I’d pay for it, so we just turned it off again. Bought a new memory card for the camera, turned out to be the wrong size (must remember to go to Elko electronic supermarket today and have it changed)

Flight was uneventful, then we landed at Kastrup in Denmark, had an expensive burger and even more expensive beer at a Nørrebro Bryghus pub at the airport, then check in again for the Prague flight, found an Italian food magazine laying around in the lounge area, Jón reads Italian so he had something to look at in the flight. An interesting story of how the ice cream cone came to be.

The plane was interestingly enough Faroese, a small jet. We had to take a bus to the plane and then when everyone had boarded and we were on our way, I thought the plane was actually going to drive all the way to Prague, took ages to drive to the end of the runway.

Once in the air the flight took a short time, and when we landed, it only took about 15 minutes for us to get off the plane, get the bags and out. Exchanged some Euro into Czech Korunas.

Eydís and Vařek the bassoonist came to pick us up at the airport, thanx, and drove to Plzeň. Took about an hour more, then we arrived at our destination, the flat we borrowed in Plzeň. Amazingly enough, not only could we borrow a flat, no fee, for the whole time, but they had also filled the fridge with food, store-bought and homemade, f.ex. a huge jar of the most amazing mouth-watering meatballs, made by Jaromir the flute player’s father.

No lacking in beer or wine, here’s me on that first night, we were pretty well tired. Nice red wine helped…

I sort of like the colour of the walls (most anyone reading my Icelandic blog knows my absolutely favourite colour)

Not long after this photo was taken, I fell asleep nose down in book.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

June 2008

%d bloggers like this: