Day #2

(hmm, should really learn the days and numbers in Czech, here)

Woke up with a tired back, bed was just a tiny bit too hard. And I didn’t think that possible, I like my beds fairly hard. Jón Lárus’s cold was coming on strong, he hadn’t slept well at all and the coughing was terrible. I’m convinced the people in the house thought they had someone with tuberculosis living in our flat. Anyway, went out and found a shop, bought some lemons for him to make hot and strong lemon tea, plus some batteries for the borrowed camera, since our was being repaired.

The batteries turned out to be unuseable, ran out in 4 photos, so we had to get new ones. Never buying generic brand batteries again, I think.

After drinking his tea, (horrid, made of tap water, which isn’t good in Plzeň and then we both put 2 teaspoons of sugar in the cup), Jón fell asleep again and I let him sleep until 1 pm. Needed that. I almost finished all the books I had to read, though.

At 2 o’clock, Anna, the wife of Jiři Bezděk (hmm, can’t remember how to write her surname, derived off Bezděk) and their daughter came to pick us up, for a ride to a medieval castle near Plzeň

Lovely woman and beautiful sweet daughter, as you can see :)

When we sat down for a glass of wine (us) and juice (them), I was speaking to Katka the daughter and asked her if she’d used, which Freyja, my middle daughter’s really stuck on. Told her Freyjas nick, and to be in touch, if she liked (which she since did).

The inside of the castle was splendid, especially the paintwork on the walls, all sorts of intricate things, sorry I can’t bring any photos, but it was expressly forbidden to take pictures in there. The guide only spoke Czech, so we didn’t understand a word. I wanted to go one room ahead of the group, (and maybe sneak some photos) but no, had to follow the group. Fun to see, anyway.

Once outside, we walked round the castle, in front they had this beautiful porch (at a loss for a word, here, porch will have to do) They could hold one heck of a grill party, there, if they wanted…

Back home, now it was my turn to fall asleep, slept for about an hour. Went out to find a restaurant, but as we weren’t exactly in the centrum we only found two places, in the first one they weren’t serving food at 19:30 on a Sunday (apparently normal Czechs eat the biggest meal at lunch), in the second one the TV was blasting and we didn’t fancy eating there. Went to the big Interspar supermarket, they were about to close, had no hot food, I grabbed a pack of 3 small pork slices and a bag of crisps and some beer and we headed back to the flat. Fried the slices in a casserole, as there was no pan, they turned out fabulous, some sort of garlic marinade, I don’t think I’ve ever cooked pork to such perfection, probably never will again.

3 Responses to “Day #2”

  1. 1 Ted Hill July 2, 2008 at 3:00 pm

    Too bad about not being able to take photos inside — your little story has just made me think about seeing the castle myself.

  2. 2 hildigunnur July 2, 2008 at 8:31 pm

    yep, let’s see if I can find photos on the net…

  1. 1 önnur « tölvuóða tónskáldið Trackback on July 1, 2008 at 8:01 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

July 2008

%d bloggers like this: